Home Learning supports the development of independent learning skills, and provides parents with an opportunity to take part in their children's education. An organised Home Learning programme helps children to gain skills and build resilience which will benefit them throughout their schooling and as an adult.
At Malden Manor we believe there needs to be a balance between the amount of Home Learning set and the time given for completion for children to benefit from regular Home Learning within a full and varied life out of school.
Usually Home Learning will be given out every Thursday to accommodate children attending Home Learning Club on a Thursday evening, and returned the following Tuesday. Home Learning is not given for the holidays, with the exception of Reception and Year 6 for specific revision tasks.
Suggested time allocations for Home Learning
(These are guidelines only and are not statutory)
Nursery 5 minutes sharing a book with a reader daily
Reception 10 minutes daily reading and 15 minutes Home Learning per week
Year 1 10 minutes daily reading and 20 minutes Home Learning per week
Year 2 15 minutes daily reading and 30 minutes Home Learning per week
Year 3 15 minutes daily reading and 40 minutes Home Learning per week
Year 4 20 minutes daily reading and 40 minutes Home Learning per week
Year 5 20 minutes daily reading and 60 minutes Home Learning per week
Year 6 20 minutes daily reading and 60 minutes Home Learning per week
We appreciate parents support ensuring the home learning is completed and handed in on time. If parents could:
• Show that you value Home Learning and that it can help to be successful in school work
• Encourage pride in presenting work neatly
• Know you do not need any specialist knowledge – your child has been taught the skills needed to complete the Home Learning
• Write a note on the Home Learning if your child has tried but has not finished in a reasonable time
• If you have any questions or problems contact the teacher through the school office