SEND Information Report Q7
7. What training have the staff supporting children with SEND had (or are having)?
- Part of our in-service training plan each year includes both whole and selected staff training in particular areas of special educational needs. For example specialist training in supporting social communication difficulties and autistic spectrum disorder (ASD).
- Our Inclusion Leader and Emotional Well Being Lead are also qualified SENCos both having completed the National Special Educational Needs Coordinator award,. The Inclusion Leader is also an Assistant Headteacher and part of the Senior Leadership Team, ensuring that all staff training and support reflects SEN professional development needs within the school. Ongoing training and CPD 2019-20 for teaching /support staff include the following areas:
- Supporting Social Emotional and Mental Health needs
Supporting social communication needs in class
- Planning for SEND in the class context
- Continued training for specific staff members - specialist support for children with a range of literacy difficulties
- Continuation and embedding of CPD programme/ In service training for developing a 'Dyslexia friendly school,'
- Staff are regularly updated on matters relating to special educational needs and disability at weekly staff meetings and during in-service training days
- Support staff (teaching assistants -TAs) have regular training, either alongside the teaching staff or training targeted at supporting individuals or groups of children with specific difficulties with whom they work. This training covers a wide range of areas including:
- Speech and Language training
- Supporting children with Autistic Spectrum conditions
- Occupational Therapy training
- Social communication programme - Socially Thinking
- Therapeutic Stories
- Zones of Regulation training
- LGFL training to enable access to and use of online resources to support interventions
- Positive moving and handling/ de-escalation training
- Mental Health first-aid training
- understanding and managing loss & bereavement training
- First aid